Position Description: Director, Nonprofit Services
Company: Next Stage
Location: Remote within Charlotte Metro
Reports To: Managing Director
About Next Stage
Next Stage was founded in 2014 by Managing Director Josh Jacobson to work “at the nexus of social good.” Guided by a core set of values, the firm is a social enterprise that partners with the private sector, public sector and nonprofits to advance a more equitable, engaged and prosperous community. The firm works throughout the Carolinas with a large percentage of its work in its headquarters city of Charlotte, North Carolina.
The firm brings much experience in helping companies and organizations define their values and guiding principles, and then use them to strengthen processes and launch new strategies. Core services include strategic planning, business planning, resource development planning and execution, marketing planning and implementation, executive search, and staff & board strengthening. Next Stage aspires to build lasting relationships with its clients, providing facilitation and project support throughout the organizational lifecycle.
To learn more about our work, please visit nextstage-consulting.com/.
Next Stage has accomplished much in the 7+ years since it was founded, including client engagements with 150+ nonprofit organizations, the launch of an incubator for the leaders of emerging nonprofits, and an upcoming expansion of services to help bridge partnerships for nonprofits and private sector companies.
The time has come to grow the firm’s staff team to include a Director focused on the continued growth of nonprofit services. As the Carolinas come back from the COVID pandemic and organizations seek to address systemic inequities as a result of calls for racial and social justice, Next Stage is poised to provide best-in-class services as a thought partner, catalyst and facilitator for nonprofit organizations called to increased impact.
Next Stage is seeking a Director who is ready to activate their skills, experiences and passion for social good in a dynamic, fast-paced setting. The Director will provide leadership and team support of client management across the firm’s core services.
The Director will serve as a client-facing leader and project manager for engagements with nonprofit organizations throughout the Carolinas. Partnering with members of the Next Stage team, the Director will lead in discovery (primary and secondary research) and planning (whiteboard intensive sessions with nonprofit leaders) toward the development of strategic roadmaps and project plans. When appropriate, the Director will also engage in project implementation. The Director will also help lead new business development, general facilitation, search engagements and thought leadership activities.
As a trusted member of the Next Stage team, the Director will be counted on for highly flexible and adaptable project management across a number of external client partnerships and internal firm-wide initiatives.
Key responsibilities include:
Project Management (65%)
- Lead strategy and strengthening for organization-wide strategic planning with nonprofits and specific services including resource development, marketing, staff design, executive search and board strengthening
- Engage in discovery for clients to include primary research (stakeholder interviews, focus groups, surveys) and secondary research (trend research, landscape analysis, agency data)
- Create written assessments for clients consolidating research into findings, recommendations, concepts for consideration and questions for planning
- Facilitate series of planning sessions (“intensives”) with client task forces (staff, board and guests) to explore assessment and establish direction
- Create written strategic roadmaps and in-depth project management plans to support the implementation of planning concepts
- Onboard planning tools with clients including board, staff and key constituencies
Business Development (15%)
- Develop a quarterly/annual portfolio of organizations for communication and outreach
- Engage in relational marketing to source client leads and follow-up on leads developed by firm leadership
- Attend community convenings and engage in networking on the firm’s behalf
- Research organizations, sectors and trends to stay contemporary with the needs of organizations across the Carolinas
- Meet with client prospects to understand needs and options for Next Stage services
- Create proposals for client prospects outlining firm services, timetables and team deployment
Thought Leadership (10%)
- Participate in firm-wide thought leadership activities including the annual “Social Good Report,” a signature community study produced by Next Stage
- Write blog posts on topics as assigned, participate in What’s Next? Zoom roundtables, and help to shape the direction of the firm’s social enterprise efforts
- Support the efforts of local civic organizations and participate in speaking opportunities on a monthly basis
Firm Engagement and Growth (10%)
- Participate in weekly team meetings and share progress on internal and external projects.
- Engage with staff and contractors to advance client work and firmwide initiatives.
- Champion productivity best practices methods and resources to ensure team synergy and transparency.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- 10+ years of experience at the manager/director level, with experience consulting a plus
- A commitment to the mission of strengthening the social good sector for the Greater Charlotte community and across the Carolinas
- Deep, demonstrated experience in the nonprofit system
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and prioritize multiple projects. Must be a collaborative team player who can also work independently.
- Ability to interface with clients and adaptable project manager for engagements with nonprofit organizations.
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Must be a skilled storyteller, adept at adopting the voice of clients.
- Experience across the social good business model including program design, governance, human capital and culture, partner development, resource development and marketing.
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, project management and productivity tools (i.e. Asana, Slack, CRMs)
- An established network in the Carolinas is a plus.
Base salary range is $80,000-$90,000. In addition to a competitive base salary, Next Stage offers a pay-for-performance model with bonuses for new business development. Next Stage is preparing to make health benefits available to full-time employees by mid-2021.
Next Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Next Stage encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
Beginning March 22, 2021, all inquiries, nominations and applications via email to Next Stage (email@example.com). Applications must include a compelling cover letter and CV to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity.
Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.