Position: Preschool Principal/Site Administrator
Organization: Charlotte Bilingual Preschool
Location: 6300 Highland Ave, Charlotte, NC 28215
Reports To: Executive Director
To prepare Spanish-speaking children for success in school and life by providing superior dual language early childhood education.
Mecklenburg County is a place where differences in language and culture are mutually enriching rather than impediments to education and fulfilment.
As one of the fastest emerging Latinx markets in the country, the Charlotte region has experienced significant change over the last two decades. Latinx individuals now make up nearly 15% of the Charlotte population, and that number continues to climb. Immigrants to the Charlotte region encounter a number of obstacles to success, which is particularly true for children entering the public school system. Without a quality preschool education, children enter Kindergarten 12-14 months behind, are half as likely to read proficiently in third grade, and are four times as likely to drop out of high school on average.
Charlotte Bilingual Preschool (CltBP) has dedicated 20 years to providing innovative, two-generation solutions for preparing Spanish-speaking children for success. Core services include the 5-star licensed dual language Preschool Program for children 3-5 and the Family Programs, which empower families as partners in their children’s education.
CltBP has also been committed to adapting its services to meet the needs of the community. In 2018, the organization launched an extension of the Preschool Program called the Green Room, a three-year pilot integrating students and families from diverse cultural backgrounds to facilitate the flow of social capital. In 2019, CltBP began a partnership with ParentChild+ as a pilot site for this nationally-recognized home visiting program.
Building on this momentum, CltBP’s board of directors approved a game-changing strategic plan in early 2020 that includes dramatic expansion over the next ten years, growing its impact to meet the needs of ten times as many children and their families annually. This plan calls for expanding reach through partnerships with other preschools, evolving the current preschool into a full-day early learning center, and developing a dual-education early learning workforce.
It is an ambitious plan and it begins with sourcing exceptional talent to serve in new Preschool positions. As CltBP enters its 20th school year of service, this newly created role will oversee Assistant Principals and teaching staff in different areas of programming such as operations management, curriculum and instruction, expansion, and talent development.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Preschool Principal/Site Administrator oversees the preschool’s daily operations and administration. This includes successfully managing Charlotte Bilingual Preschool program delivery in preschool and early education classrooms, wraparound programs, decentralized preschool delivery expansion, and talent development. Assistant Principals focused in different programming areas report directly to the Principal. The Principal ensures that CltBP delivers a high-quality, dual language preschool program that supports students’ school readiness in a supportive school culture in collaboration with teachers, staff, and parents. Position responsibilities include:
- Support expansion of Pre-K classrooms and expanded age 3 classrooms, evolution to a zero-to-5 early learning center, and talent development to meet growing community needs
- With staff, lead the daily effort to ensure core services encourage family participation and empower families to support their children’s education at home
- Implement best practices in dual language education to deliver superior preschool education
- Lead a data-driven environment that ensures use of data and assessment tools for planning, decision making, and differentiated instruction to support student success
- Establish and maintain ongoing open communication with families, therapists, and Family Educators regarding each child’s needs
- Represent CltBP as a leader in early education and create a welcoming environment for visitors
- Promote a strong and intentional organizational culture in which teaching staff are empowered, feel valued, and are regularly recognized for their contributions
- Work with Assistant Principals to develop, implement, and coordinate year-round school curriculum and training, and conduct ongoing assessment to ensure curriculum efficacy
- Utilizing knowledge and experience in early childhood development and school administration, work with teaching staff to create long-term plans for children’s academic success
- Manage people, data processes, and assessments
- Ensure cultural, linguistic, and familial values and beliefs are incorporated into a positive and welcoming school culture, classroom culture, and lesson plans
- Create systematic, integrated opportunities across whole school
- Oversee wraparound programming and curriculum delivery to ensure each child meets learning expectations that prepare them for success in school
- Use data to drive instructional practices and differentiate instruction based on students’ needs
- Help families understand the curriculum and ways they can support their child’s education at home
- Conduct home visits and family conferences
- Actively participate in Advisory process of referral and student support
- Regularly meet with faculty and staff as a whole to discuss and review curriculum
- Provide consistent and systematic professional development opportunities for teaching staff
- Cultivate leadership in others and encourage implementation of best practices and opportunities to remain a reflective practitioner
- Recruit, supervise, develop, evaluate, and retain high-quality teaching staff
Required Qualifications & Competencies
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- Has a track record of leading and supporting education teams to improve outcomes for youth
- Commits to fully integrate school with groundbreaking early childhood program
- Displays a passion for dual language learners and their families and commitment to building a collaborative culture
- Demonstrates flexibility and resourcefulness
- Is a critical thinker and a problem solver with a track record of utilizing data to improve outcomes
- Demonstrates ability to recruit and hire top performing teaching staff
- Brings 5 years’ experience working with preschool-aged children and 4 years in a school administration role
- Values diversity, equity, and cultural differences, bringing cultural competency to daily work
- Is bilingual and bicultural English/Spanish with proficient fluency in oral and written communication in both languages (required)
- Holds a Master’s degree in early childhood education or education-related field and/or ECE credential (required), Birth-Kindergarten teaching license and/NC Administrative Credential (preferred)
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Health and retirement benefits offered.
All inquiries, nominations and applications should be directed via email to Next Stage at: firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered for the role, applications must include a CV and compelling one-page cover letter explaining your interest and why you believe you are a good fit. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.
As an equal opportunity employer, Charlotte Bilingual Preschool is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.