Executive Director – Position Description
Organization: SHARE Charlotte
Title: Executive Director
Location: Hygge Coworking, 1026 Jay Street, Charlotte, NC 28208
Reports To: Board of Directors
Since its founding in 2012, SHARE Charlotte has been on a mission to build a better Charlotte by empowering nonprofits and helping people invest in their communities in ways that matter most to them. The 501c3 nonprofit organization accomplishes this by providing a one-stop-shop to engage with 400+ Mecklenburg County nonprofits and by connecting its nonprofit partners to valuable resources and opportunities.
SHARE Charlotte campaigns and programs raise awareness about local nonprofits throughout the year and increase the level of community engagement. Signature campaigns and programs include #GivingTuesdayCLT, Give Shop, Shop for GOOD, Do Good Week, and SHARE SHINE.
For more information about SHARE Charlotte please visit sharecharlotte.org.
SHARE Charlotte has accomplished much since its founding, launching first as a social enterprise before attaining 501c3 nonprofit status in 2016. The organization fills an important need as a “catalyst, conduit and convener” for social good in the Queen City, increasing awareness and engagement in the many causes serving the community.
The organization is at an exciting crossroads as it leverages its history of impact to fuel its value proposition with local individuals and institutions. The organization has recently onboarded a membership model to generate needed revenue and is poised to attract new partners in service to its mission. The organization is very well positioned to align with local trends and is seeking a leader who can chart a course for success.
The next Executive Director will lead an exceptional team and partner with the Board of Directors to establish a strategic growth plan and advance it through relational outreach. This role will be ideal for a self-starter motivated by a desire to build and brand and grow the local nonprofit community.
The Executive Director will be a strategic, visionary leader with excellent resource development, relationship-building, and leadership skills. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership and operations of SHARE Charlotte including management, mission delivery, finances, and fund development. Key responsibilities include:
Strategic, Visionary Leadership and Management
- Establishes a clear vision for continued growth and expansion of SHARE Charlotte community and programs
- Leads team of 5 direct reports responsible for partner management, marketing, communications, shared services, and campaign management
- Manages day-to-day operations of the organization, consistent with the mission and policies adopted by the Board
- Collaborates with the Board on strategic direction to ensure long-term and short-term goals of the organization are met
- Recruits, manages, coaches, and supports team members
- Continuing development and implementation of an effective system for measuring impact of all initiatives
Fundraising and Resource Development
- Works with the team and the Board to develop and execute annual fundraising strategy to sustain and increase support from corporate sponsors, grants, events, foundations and individuals
- Leads fundraising efforts to support operational expenses, and new and existing programs
- Manages grants and reporting requirements, providing necessary documentation
Community Relations and Communications
- Serves as the primary spokesperson and relationship-builder in the community for important constituents, media interviews, and speaking engagements
- Works to expand brand visibility and partnerships in the community
- Defines and demonstrates a compelling value proposition to grow and retain nonprofit community membership
- Develops strategies to grow nonprofit community in alignment with long-term strategic goals
- Provides fiscal management and oversight by creating and operating within an approved annual budget
- Works with Board on sustainable strategies to improve long-term financial strength
- Manages contracted party relationships with accounting and payroll services
- Manages all 501c3 status requirements including annual licensing, Form 990 filings, and audits as required
- Observes and follows the Bylaws and other processes and procedures set forth by the Board for the operation and governance of the organization
- Implements and adheres to all personnel policies and guidelines
- Cultivates and maintains strong working relationships with the Board, communicating regularly to provide operational and financial reports and further SHARE Charlotte goals
- Prepares agenda and materials for all Board meetings
- Recommends potential new board members to Nominating Committee and onboards those approved by Board
Performs other job duties as requested by the Board of Directors and committee chairs within the scope of the position.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
The ideal candidate will have the following capability and qualities:
- Demonstrated commitment to SHARE Charlotte mission, capacity-building, and philanthropy in the Mecklenburg County community
- Ability to inspire and facilitate the mission of the organization and provide staff supervision while working in a nonprofit environment
- Ability to serve as a strategic, visionary leader with a demonstrated track record as a change manager with excellent fundraising, administrative operations, financial management, strategic planning, relationship-building, and advocacy skills
- Knowledge of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County nonprofit and philanthropic landscape, with established connections and a profile in the community. Familiarity with local funders, leaders, and community groups. Ability to adapt to corporate and nonprofit environments
- Experience developing and executing a strategic fund development plan with demonstrated success in partner development and fundraising
- Fluent, compelling, oral and written communication skills, and the ability to present formally and informally with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience setting organization-wide strategic goals and effectively leveraging the skills of staff to achieve goals
- Previous experience in board relations and onboarding, developing policies, goals, and objectives to optimize the resources of the board members
- Demonstrated competence creating and understanding financial documents, including budgets and cash flow
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Non-Profit Management, Accounting, Communications, or other related areas
- A minimum of five years of senior leadership experience required; preferably in the social good or nonprofit sector
- Proficient in different types of electronic platforms and applications, e.g. Microsoft and Google, social media savvy and aptitude
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights and weekends as need
Base salary range is $70,000-$80,000 with performance bonus potential. Benefits include a generous PTO policy and healthcare benefits.
SHARE Charlotte has partnered with Next Stage to help in this hire. All inquiries, nominations and applications should be directed via email to Next Stage (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications must include a compelling cover letter and resume to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity. Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
SHARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its works and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. SHARE Charlotte encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
About Next Stage
Next Stage is a strategy and implementation firm based in Charlotte, NC and serves nonprofit organizations and social cause start-ups throughout the Carolinas. Next Stage works with nonprofit organizations to develop game-changing strategies and strengthened operations in service to mission and long-range vision. For more information about Next Stage, please visit nextstage-consulting.com.